Last updated March 16th, 2021
Our thoughts on privacy
We do not sell your personal information. Ever.
Fluent works by offering language practice within your browser. We don't collect data about what you read to sell to advertisers. We don't want to know about the sites you go to, and we've designed our software so that we have no way of knowing either.
In plain English we want you to enjoy using our product so much that you'll be okay with paying us for it - that's our entire business model (crazy right?).
So how do we use your data?
We keep track of the words we've translated for you. The reason we do this is so that we can improve your language learning and over time help you build a larger vocabulary. We know what words you've seen translated, so that we can test you on those words later and can continue to build off that progress. We also collect limited information on product usage (such as usage metrics, and which websites create errors) this data is completely anonymous and is only collected to improve the product.
Our stance on privacy is simple: We will always be transparent and responsible with what data we collect and how we use it to help you pick up new languages. We will never act in a way to lose your trust.
If you're ready we can't wait to help you practice getting better at new languages.
P.S. If you have any questions or comments, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we always respond.
By using Fluent, you are agreeing to the collection and use of your personal information for the purposes of providing you our product services as described below. We will notify all active accounts of any significant changes to this policy.
At Fluent, your privacy is extremely important. We will never share your data with a third-party. We will analyze and store your data for the purposes of improving our product services. We offer our service for free with the intention of enticing you to our premium, paid service. The details of this policy are outlined below:
1. We will never sell, rent, or otherwise share your personal information, with or without personally identifying information. Furthermore, we will never share anonymized selections of your individual data. That includes any government (foreign or domestic) unless we are compelled by law. If we are required by law to disclose any of the information collected about you, we will attempt to provide you with notice (unless we are prohibited) that a request for your information has been made in order to give you an opportunity to object to the disclosure. We will attempt to provide this notice by email. We will independently object to overly broad requests for access to information about users of our site.
2. We may share information about user behavior in the aggregate only. For example, we could share information like, "How many words does the average user learn through Fluent?" This type of analysis is used to enrich the product, and to represent our domain expertise to our audiences.
3. We won't spam you, ever, either directly or indirectly by sharing of email information. We may occasionally send one-time messages about important Fluent news, or occasionally solicit information to improve our product services. We will likely continue to introduce ways that you can optionally have Fluent contact you with data that you care about, but you will always be able to turn this on or off.
4. Account settings and usage information will be accessible once logged in to your personal Fluent account. Sign-in will be prompted through the Fluent Chrome extension if no account is detected. If there is no sign-in prompt, sign-in will also be accessible through the Fluent Chrome extension settings page.
Data Collection & Usage
Account creation with Fluent is required in order to receive our product services. This requires you to share your email address. We use this information to better inform you of new features, and to solicit your product feedback. Moreover, information on your level of French aptitude is required to complete the account creation process. This information is used to calibrate the initial settings for Fluent, and improve our product services.
Fluent collects and stores the following information:
1. We track and show users their learning progress by saving which words Fluent translates for you.
2. To track errors specific to certain websites we collect the url's for the website visited, and issues submitted by users through Fluent's issue submission tool.
3. Users can report incorrect translations, we save the word and the sentence the word is contained in when a user reports the error. We do this to understand why the word was incorrect given the context of the sentence around it.
4. We track general product and feature usage, this is used to understand how people are using Fluent and helps us improve the product for everyone.
Fluent does not collect or store:
Keystrokes, form inputs, screenshots, or anything nefarious. In order to provide Fluent's outlined services, all the page body text from a visited URL is sent to our servers for natural language processing and translation of words that match user settings. This page body text IS NEVER STORED. All collected information is sent to our servers over an encrypted (HTTPS) connection. Your Fluent account password is also stored in an encrypted format.